Misadventures of a 20-Something Mom: The Little Red Convertible: How Mama Got Her Groove Back   

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Little Red Convertible: How Mama Got Her Groove Back

Don't get too excited. I don't OWN this car or anything. But, for 24 sweet hours, I got to pretend that I did. I already mentioned the "funk" I was in a few weeks ago about turning 25 (Happy Birthday to Me!)
In order to remedy this, my husband rented me a little, red convertible.

I had never driven one. I had never driven one for a million reasons: they're dangerous, it's reckless, I don't need to "showboat", the idea of my impossibly long, boob-length hair beating me about the face and getting into irreparable tangles doesn't appeal to me.

But ya know what? Secretly, I STILL always wanted to grip that leather steering wheel, crank the stereo, and put the pedal to the metal.

And I did. And IT WAS A-FREAKING-MAZING.

My findings are as follows:

  • It WAS totally reckless. We had no reason to even rent the car. We just drove it all over town. To the store, to go out to dinner, to the beach, etc. You name it. I drove it there.
  • It WAS dangerous. My mom insists that we should think of ourselves as the president and vice-president and avoid traveling/doing dangerous things together, because then who would run the country? (a.k.a take care of this baby haha) I did it anyway, and we survived. Cheated death even!
  • I DID showboat. I danced. I sang; albeit off key. I quite literally let my hair down. It was fantastic. The few times I drove this car around, sans husband, I got hit on like crazy! I think I might have even caught a few winks and flirty glances when the old ball and chain was sitting right next to me.
  • I DID get my hair tangled beyond recognition. It makes no difference when you're hauling ass down the interstate, hair blowing in the breeze. I'm positive that I was rocking this look. When you get to a red light, its a whole different ball game. I looked like the cowardly lion..after he got his tail stuck in an electric socket.  It took 3/4 of a bottle of conditioner and a solid half hour to undo what the wind had done in a few short miles. Totally. Worth it.

My husband is my rock. The yin to my yang or what have you. He helps me see and experience parts of my self that I would otherwise stifle. This was one of those times. He brought me out of my funk and helped me feel young and wild and free again. He gave me a memorable birthday that I will never forget, and helped me get my groove back, all for under $100 bucks.

1 comment:

  1. The opportunity to drive a red convertible for 24 hours is a very nice gift. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the gift tremendously. You are very lucky for having such a sweet husband. I'm just a little curious: did you drive the convertible the entire time, or did you switch cars from time to time?


    Timmy Radloff

    ReplyDelete