Misadventures of a 20-Something Mom: Dear Olivia's Mom: Missed Connections (Mom Edition)   

Monday, August 13, 2012

Dear Olivia's Mom: Missed Connections (Mom Edition)

Have you seen the creepy "missed connections" postings on Craigslist? No? Oh come on!

Basically, someone meets someone else at some random location..a 7-11 for instance..and is absolutely convinced that they had chemistry and that it needs to be further developed. In hopes that their long lost love will happen upon it, they then post a little blurb about their chance encounter. I don't know if it ever works..but there are pages and pages of them online.

I suppose some might call this gesture romantic..frankly, a lot of the posts give me the heebie jeebies.

With that said, I STILL think there should be a "missed connections: mom seeking mom" section on Craigslist. I'd hate to think that this qualifies me as one of the above mentioned creepsters...but just hear me out.

I suck at making friends. Always have.

First off, I am very particular about the kind of person I want to be friends with. A lot of people just annoy the hell out of me. I couldn't even tell you why. They might laugh funny, or be too materialistic, too stuck up, or too phony, or their kid might be a complete asshat. Sometimes I meet moms who are so perfect that I am left with no choice but to despise them. :)

On top of my award-winning  anti-social tendencies, I am also too shy..too awkward..too everything to initiate conversations, or exchanges of numbers, or do any other number of social maneuvers to begin the friend making process.

This means that the few friends I DO have are very outgoing individuals who "made the first move" so to speak. I'd probably just be some lonely hermit of a woman if it weren't for all you extroverts out there. (I'm making myself out to be a real winner, huh? lol)

The good news is that once I am comfortable around someone, and the friendship is well established, I am an awesome friend. Not to toot my own horn, but I am loyal to a fault, humorously self-deprecating, I love wine and chocolate so I will never be skinnier than you, and I'm a professional listener (M.A. Clinical Psychology). But I digress..

FrequentlyA lot of times.. OK. Occasionally, my finicky personality comes across another mom that seems funny, and down to earth, and that I would LOVE to make friends with. However, I don't know the protocol for exchanging numbers/propositioning a play date and so nothing ever becomes of it. Being a Stay-at-home mom can be really lonely at times, and it would be great to have more mom friends to hang out with, so I am always super bummed when this happens.

It happened today and I am pretty disappointed. If Craigslist had a Missed Connections for Moms..this is what my blurb would look like:

"Dear Olivia's Mom,
I'm pretty sure that's what I heard you calling your adorable daughter while she was yanking stuff off the shelves of Target and tickling my baby son's feet when you weren't looking. We met today in the baby food section and discussed the amazing innovation of squeeze fruit and veggie pouches for toddlers. About as riveting as conversation gets with two moms! You said your daughter was almost 2, and she may well be the cutest little girl I've ever seen. My son was enamored too! She had bright blond hair, (pink?) glasses, and the most adorable mischievous tendencies. You seemed a bit frazzled, but still managed to be very friendly. I saw you again while we were checking out. You were panicked because Ms. Olivia snuck off and you couldn't find her. I spotted her, took her tiny hand in mine, and walked her back over to you. You were genuinely relived. This was probably just a crazy, "off" day for you guys, but it reminded me of what most days feel like to me as a relatively new mom. It was absolutely endearing. I would have loved to get to know you better and to have let our two little devils have a play date. I hope that your day turned around and that Ms. Olivia treats you well.
Maybe we'll meet up in the baby food section again someday. The baby and I will keep an eye out for you."
XoXo
(Non-creepster) 20-something Mom

12 comments:

  1. I understand. I'm an introvert too and people also annoy the hell out of me. It's not a great combination for making friends.

    Have you tried any local mom groups? MOPS? Reading time at the library? Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent had the best of luck with the moms groups. I even wrote a post on it lol. (mean moms) I have managed to find a handful of amazing ladies they just live so far away from me!

      Delete
  2. New follower - found you through Friday hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I always had a hard time meeting other moms.

    I found you through the TGIF Blog Hop and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I am totally the same, I'm thinking maybe we are long lost sisters! I feel like my daughter is missing out on making friends, so I joined a play group and am going to the first meet up next week. I am FREAKING out! Stopping by from the TGIF blog hop (SO glad I did!)and am now your newest follower:) Hope you can come check out Crazy Mama Drama !
    http://crazy-mama-drama.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Mama-Drama/259491484156846

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I moved to a new area recently and have had trouble making friends - I actually considered putting an add up in the post office!
    Found you via TGIF blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the same way!! I always ask my husband, how do we make friends?? We didnt have a lot prior I having kids but since then the list has slimmed down quiet a bit. I mean we have "friends" but not the ones I can just call up and hang or chat with!! Will you be my friend?? Haha
    <3
    Pa new follower from blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you! Found you through Blog hop!

    I have the same problem. I have like three friends. They all have little kids and mine are older so it's kinda nice because I can hold babies, cuddle toddlers and tie lots of shoes and then send them home!
    I'll be your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute, cute, CUTE!!! Thank you so much for linking up this week. So glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the winner of the Versatile blogger award is.....YOU! I received the award and am passing it on to 7 people, you made my favorite. Congrats! Go to my page and read all the stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, I think it would be super cool/funny if she just so happened to come across your blog & read this post. :)

    My friends & I are just like you. Socially awkward penguins, as new 20-something moms. (Actually, my one friend turned me on to this blog) We both have sons! Anyway, pretty sure you would fit right in with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog thru Pinterest! Here I'm all worried about my six year old meeting mean girls and yet, I'm going through the same thing with mean moms! I just don't get it. I was even discussed about being asked to not attend future meetings from a certain mom group because my then 2 year old said the word stupid.

    ReplyDelete